We love celebrating birthdays in our house. My girls especially like to celebrate their teacher's birthdays so when one of our teachers had a birthday last month, I made some strawberry cupcakes. I have seen several blogs that have made these adorable roses on cakes and cupcakes. They appeared to be so daunting, but after looking at this blog, I realized I was being a big baby and they were really easy.
I could have also gone the easy route and made the cupcakes from a box mix, but I wanted up my game. I used this recipe that I found on the blog, Apron of Grace, that I had pinned a while back and I am so glad that I found it. It is a bit more work than just throwing it together from the box, but it is worth it. I actually had a small bag of frozen strawberries that I put in a saucepan and reduced down to a thick yummy juice. I smashed the strawberries with a fork and left them a bit on the chunky side. I also decided to skip adding the red food coloring which made by cupcakes a pale pink, which I loved. If you want a bright pink, then add the red food coloring.
I made enough cupcakes for all the teachers and students in the third grade. My kids loved the cupcakes and I was so glad that I tried something new. I will be decorating all kinds of cupcakes and cakes with this new rose technique. I think a beautiful cake decorated with all roses for Mother's Day would be so beautiful.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- 1 1/4 cups pureed strawberries
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the Frosting
- 1 - 8oz pkg cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup half and half/whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake tin with liners.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter with sugar for 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, then the vanilla, food coloring and strawberries, beat for another 3 minutes.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to butter/egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients., mixing just till combined.
- In another bowl and clean beaters, beat egg whites till stiff and add in an increment of 3 to cake batter, being sure to fold in thoroughly but gently.
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes for cupcakes and 20-25 minutes for 9 inch round cake pans.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, add cream cheese and butter, whip till light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add liquids and blend.
- Slowly add powdered sugar while mixing.
- At this point you may need to add more powdered sugar. You are trying to achieve a medium stiff consistency. Whip for several minutes.
- Using a 1M tip, fill the pastry bag with frosting.
- To make your rose, start in the center, then slowly move your tip in a circle around the center point.
Powered by Recipage
*My Sweet and Savory: My Meatless Monday
*The Southern Institute: Creative Me Link Up
*Boogieboard Cottage: Masterpiece Monday
*Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday
*11th Heaven's Homemaker Monday: Homemaker Monday
*The Sweet Spot: Recipe Party Time
*Talking Dollar and Cents: Muffin Monday
*DIY Home Sweet Home: More the Merrier
*Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth Monday
*Flour Me with Love: Mix It Up Monday
*Delightfully Dowling: Mangia Monday
*A Southern Fairytale: Mouthwatering Monday
*Marvelously Messy: A Marvelous Mess
*Sumo's Sweet Stuff: Market Yourself Monday
*Skip To My Lou: Made By You Monday
*Blessed with Grace: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
*It's A Blog Party: Delicious Dishes
*Mandy's Recipe Box: Totally Tasty Tuesday
*Hoosier Homemade: Cupcake Tuesday
*33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesday
*Permanent Posies: Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits
*Reasons to Skip the Housework: Tuesday Time Out
*Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show
*BruCrew Life: Treak or Treat Tuesday
*From Mess Hall to Bistro: Made From Scratch Tuesday
*Sweetology: Tea Party Tuesday
*Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet Tuesday
*Two Maids a Milking: 2 Maids a Baking
*Bizzy Bakes: Bake with Bizzy
*Talking Dollar and Cents: Sweet Tempations
*Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
*A Little Nosh: Tastetastic Thursday
*Something Swanky: Sweet Treat Friday
*Alli-n-Sons: Sweet Tooth Friday
*Food Corner: Decorating Challenge