Wednesday, March 7, 2012

{Crazy Cooking Challenge} Scooter's Spaghetti


I can't believe how quickly this year is flying by.  It's time for another Crazy Cooking Challenge.  Last month's challenge was chocolate cake.  The most viewed cake was Whopper Cake with Chocolate Almond Buttercream.  This month's challenge is spaghetti with red sauce.  My family loves spaghetti so I knew this was a challenge I was going to like!


I know that I can't be the only person addicted to Pinterest, so several months ago, I came across a pin for salad in a jar.  A brilliant idea from Paula at Salad in a Jar.  I mean REALLY brilliant and if that was so smart she had to have more awesome recipes and boy does she but the one that caught my eye was Scooter's Spaghetti.  It was delish!  


I made a few changes based on my family's preferences and ingredients that I had on had.  I had some Philadelphia Italian herb cooking cream that I thought would be a perfect subsititution for plain cream cheese.  I think that it add more flavor and creamy texture.  I also used a six cheese Italian pre-shredded mix...all two cups. 


OK...here is where I may shock some of you.  When I make sauce, either homemade or jarred, I always add a stick of butter or margarine.  My sister-in-law's Italian grandmother taught me this over ten years ago.  It adds some yummy goodness and really takes the sauce over the top.  You certainly could skip this step, however, please give it a try and see if you don't agree.  And give it a try as you make this most devine spaghetti dish!


Enjoy!  






{Crazy Cooking Challenge} Scooter's Spaghetti
{adapted from the original recipe by Paula/Salad in a Jar}
Ingredients
  • 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 large jar spaghetti sauce (25 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2/3 cup chopped onions
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 8 ounces Philadelphia cooking cream, Italian herb flavor or cream cheese
  • 2 cups Italian cheese mix, shredded
  • Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
  • French Fried Onions (small can)

Instructions
  • Cook spaghetti according to directions on the package. Cook to al dente, drain and set aside.
  • Brown ground beef in a skillet. Drain excess grease.
  • Add spaghetti sauce and 1/2 cup butter to skillet and heat.
  • Combine onions, peppers and 1 tablespoon butter in small glass bowl. Cover and microwave 4 minutes on HIGH until soft.
  • Add cooking cream or cream cheese to vegetables and stir well.
  • Using a 10 x 6 dish, assemble in the following order:
    • Thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
    • Spaghetti
    • Cream cheese/vegetable mixture
    • Spaghetti sauce
    • Parmesan Cheese (amount subject to your own taste)
    • Italian cheese or cheese of your choice
    • French Fried Onions (added during last 5 minutes of cooking)
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Top with fried onions and continue baking 5 more minutes.
Powered by Recipage








Linked To:
*This Chick Cooks: These Chick Cooks
*Turning the Clock Back: What's Cooking Wednesday
*Bizzy Bakes: Bake with Bizzy
*Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
*Frugal Follies: Frugal Food Thursday
*A Little Nosh: Tastetastic Thursday
*Mom on Timeout: Taking a Timeout Thursday
*36th Avenue: Time to Party
*Home Sweet Home: Friday Favorite Finds
*It's a Hodgepodge Life: Hodgepodge Friday
*Happy Hour Project: Freestyle Friday
*Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday
*Blissful and Domestic: Feature Friday Linky Party
*The Sweet Details: Savory Sunday
*Everyday Mom's Meals: Church Supper
*Mrs Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday
*The Sweet Spot: Recipe Party
*It's A Blog Party: Delicious Dishes

8 comments:

  1. Oh man does this sound good! I've never heard of adding a stick of butter to spaghetti sauce, sounds interesting. Stopping by from the CCC (#40).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stick of butter?! Sounds sinful...I'll have to try it immediately!
    #29

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting recipe. My dad adds butter to his sauce, but I never thought about adding cream cheese. That's why I love the cooking challenges, there is always something new to learn. Will have to try this.

    Stop by if you have a chance, I'm #30 in the challenge.

    Thanks so much for sharing,
    Mangia!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Scooter's Spaghetti too! It is absolutely wonderful! Great choice if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice. I was a little confused for a second until I realized I left a comment on the OTHER Scooter's entry! This is a great recipe and can't wait to try it. Isn't this a fun Challenge! I'm #28. Come visit when you can.

      Delete
  5. I love that two people made the same dish and that it got such great reviews, I'll need to give it a try.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry: Tomato Sauce with Onion & Butter.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice for the CCC, I am # 27, it is fun cooking with you! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day and Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does look like a great choice of a pasta dish, one I would like to try making. I am featuring this, Bake with Bizzy, this week. Thanks for sharing it there.

    ReplyDelete