Saturday, October 22, 2011

Recipe: Mandarin Orange Muffins

 
My family loves muffins of all kinds.  One of our favorites is Monkey Muffins.  They are so good and nutritious when made with whole wheat flour.  As much as I love them, I was looking for something new and exciting to try.  I came across this recipe and was intrigued because my kids love mandarin oranges.  These muffins are super easy because they are made with a baking mix.  They are so soft and tender and the cinnamon sugar topping is a nice compliment to the oranges.  My kids and their friends devoured them in no time flat, especially my Abby.  She has asked me to make them again almost every day now.  They are her new favorite.  While they are not quite as healthy as our Monkey Muffins, they are very good and I might try to make them with a whole grain baking mix next time.


Enjoy! 

Mandarin Orange Muffins
(original recipe by Talking Dollar and Cents)
{print} 

Muffin
11/2 cups baking mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1 11-oz can of mandarin oranges, drained and diced

Topping
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat muffin tins with non-stick spray.  To make the batter:  Combine baking mix, sugar, nutmeg and allspice in a large bowl.  In another smaller bowl, stir egg, butter, milk and mandarin oranges together. Stir the liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until just mixed.  Over mixing the batter will result in a tougher muffin.  Spoon batter into muffin tins filling each tin 3/4 full and making sure orange bits are evenly distributed.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  To make the topping: Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.  While muffins are still warm, brush the tops with the melted butter butter and sprinkle the sugar-cinnamon mixture across the top of the muffins.

2 comments:

  1. I will totally be making these, I just stocked up on canned fruit the other week when I got them really cheap. These muffins look amazing! Check out my link for your Liebster blog award. Love your site!
    http://millerfamilyorganizer.blogspot.com/2011/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad would love these - he's a big fan of Mandarin oranges. I love recipes with simple ingredients. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete