I found this recipe at the blog of Kevin and Amanda. I have tried several of the recipes on their blog, like Bacon Cheeseburger Chicken. I adapted this recipe a bit to make a bit more to feed my family of five.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb smoked sausage, sliced into coins
- 1.5 cups diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-10 oz can mild diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 -10 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup scallions, thinly sliced
Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking.
Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir.
Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low.
Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions.
Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly.
Powered by Recipage
* I Heart Naptime: Sundae Scoop Link Party
*Boogieboard Cottage: Masterpiece Monday
*Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth Monday