Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gifts from my Kitchen: Cranberry White Chocolate Bars


When I saw this recipe posted on one of my favorite blogs, Glorious Treats, I knew that I would be making them for our teachers for Valentine's Day.  Do not let the cute heart shape fool you....these are pure sin!  OMG....you can never go wrong with white chocolate and cranberries...am I right? 

This recipe is a keeper and I will be pulling it often!   I was in a hurry to get these packaged and ready to take to school, so check out Glory's blog and see her beautiful pictures of these little gems.

Enjoy!


Cranberry White Chocolate Bars
(recipe from Glorious Treats)
{print}

Bars
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (slightly softened)
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup dried, sweetened cranberries, chopped
6 ounces (about 3/4 cup) white chocolate chips


Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange extract


1/2- 2/3 cup dried, sweetened cranberries, chopped
2 ounces white chocolate, melted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.  Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving some hanging over the two long sides- this allows the bars to be pulled out of the pan after baking for easier cutting.  In a medium bowl add the flour, powdered ginger, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set bowl aside.  In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth.  Add eggs, vanilla, and orange zest and mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture and blend until combined.  Stir in cranberries and white chocolate. Pour the batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.  Bake 25-30 minutes, until edges are light brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Prepare frosting by beating the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and orange extract. Beat about 1 minute until fully incorporated.  Assemble dessert by spreading the frosting onto the baked and cooled bars. Sprinkle additional cranberries on top. Drizzle melted white chocolate on top as desired.


To make the bars heart shaped, use a heart cookie cutter.
 


If you love cranberries (like me!), here is another awesome recipe to try:


Linked To:


Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. These look so yummy. Love your new layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any excuse to use dried cranberries...looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, now this one I'm actually going to make! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM My mouth was watering just looking at the links title, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look fantastic! Thanks for linking up to Made From Scratch Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing!!!

    I'd love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look pretty and delicious! What a perfect treates for gift-giving! Thanks for sharing.

    Amy
    httpo://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cranberries...add cream cheese and I'll follow you anywhere!!!
    Have a beautiful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those do look like a decadent cookie/bar -- yum! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just KNOW these are delicious! I can tell by just looking ~~ then I read the ingredients. Oh my goodness! YUM! Thanks!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Wende,
    Your Bars look delicious. I would love for you to bring those to Full Plate Thursday, the linky will be open all week end. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ADORE creme cheese frosting and orange zest. Bestill my heart cranberries and white chocolate. Now can we just get some walnuts in there somewhere and I'll be in heaven, or maybe I should be in TEXAS.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD (Vancouver)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wende,
    I am so happy that you brought your Cranberry White Chocolate Bar's to Full Plate Thursday for all of us to enjoy. I can tell they will be a big hit with this crowd.Have a great day and hope you will come back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! I'd probably substitute chocolate chips (to me, white chocolate is just a chocolate impostor!) Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi again...I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn' have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

    Amy
    http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! These look wonderful! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been meaning to try making these for the longest time. Your pictures just convince me that I'm going to have to do it real soon. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love cranberries and I made cranberry and white choc muffins just yesterday! These sound divine though and I love frosting made with cream cheese. Thanks for the recipes.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete