Friday, December 17, 2010

Recipe: White Sandwich Bread for the Bread Machine


After doing our moldy bread science project last month, I realized that I needed to make a change.  It took over two weeks for a speck of mold to grow on our commercially made bread.  While that sounds great, if you stop to think about it, maybe not so much.  It means that the bread has so many chemicals to prevent mold.  Do I really want that many chemicals in the babies?  I don't think so!  So, I made it my personal quest to find a bread that was quick, soft and tasty and would be a great replacement.  After several attempts, I believe I have accomplished the mission.  This bread is so simple to make and after it bakes it is so soft.  The perfect sandwich bread, toast bread or whatever bread.  The texture is light and the crust is soft.  My family loves the taste which I consider a win-win. 



Now, if you have been making bread in a bread machine, the traditional method is to put all of your wet ingredients in first, then the dry and lastly the yeast so it does not touch the liquid.  In this recipe, you proof the yeast first and then add the rest of the ingredients.  Don't be afraid!  Trust me on this.  You will love the results.  I also make my bread on the dough cycle and then after the cycle is finished, I knead it a couple of times and then put it in my bread pan for it final rise. Then I bake it off at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.  If you don't want to go through the extra steps of baking it outside your bread maker then just put it on your white or basic cycle and wait for the wonderful smell of yummy goodness to fill your house.

Enjoy!



White Sandwich Bread

1 cup warm water
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 cup oil
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt

Place the water, sugar and yeast in the pan of the bread machine.  Let the yeast dissolve and foam for about 10 minutes.  Add the oil, flour and salt to the yeast mixture.  Select basic or white bread setting. 

NOTE:  You may also use the dough cycle.  Once the cycle is complete, remove dough and knead a few times then place in bread pan.  Allow to rise about an inch above the rim of the baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Print

Linked To:

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great white bread recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the same bread recipe I use and my family of 5 loves it. We go through about a loaf a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe has been a lifesaver. Raved about it and linked back here on my own home blog- I think I've made this at least once a week ever since I tried it the first time. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh shoot- pasted the wrong URL on my comment, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your bread recipe yesterday and made it today! I just have one question, where have you been all my life, fellow Christian-wonderful bread maker? Oly Smokes Batman! This is amazing sandwich bread! I just hope my husband likes it just as much as I do! I won't buy another thing of bread from the grocery store ever again if that's the case! Thanks so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz....so glad that you made the recipe and love it! It is so simple and has the best texture and taste!

    Bebe...thanks for the link back. I am glad that you are enjoying the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've gotta tell you that I've been making this bread every week since I posted my last post in May. I did have a few weeks there where the belt on my maker needed to be replaced but, once I got a new one, I was back to baking bread! Have you ever tried putting seeds or fruit in it? I'm on the hunt for a multi-grain apple sandwich bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate you posting this recipe. I've been trying to find a good sandwich bread and I think we have a winner!! Great flavor! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a bread maker. I just make bread the old fashioned way. Is this recipe workable without the machine?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What size loaf is this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What size of loaf would you say that is?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What size of loaf is this?

    ReplyDelete