Thursday, December 16, 2010

Recipe: Cheddar Cheese Soup


It was actually cold enough last week for us to have not one, but TWO nights of soups.  Can you believe it?  There was much excitement in our house...lol!  This recipe is a favorite.  Who doesn't love cheese and more cheese?  Certainly not us.  This is a quick and easy soup that comes together in a cinch.  It takes more time to grate the cheese than it does to make the soup.  And it is smooth as velvet and has the most delicious cheese flavor.  Bonus:  No need for Velveeta!  This makes a small pot so I always double the recipe because my family eats it up.

Enjoy!


Creamy Cheddar Cheese Soup

1 onion, finely diced
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp AP flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup green onions, optional
crumbled bacon, optional

In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Blend in flour.  Add stock and cream, whisking to break up any flour lumps.  Cook until thick.  Add cheese and stir until melted.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add garnish such as green onions and bacon.



Print

Linked To:

11 comments:

  1. A creamy cheesy soup sounds like a delicious way to enjoy winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a velveeta fan here, so this is exactly the way I like to make my cheese soup. I use my homemade chicken stock, of course. Love your addition of bacon - will have to do that next time. Oh, if I want it a little spicy, I stir in a packet or two of Chinese hot mustard leftover from take-out.

    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I printed that right out!! LOVE cheese soup. I will certainly make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good. It is freezing here and this sounds yummy!

    ~Liz


    P.S. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love creamy savory soups like this! A wonderful recipe to make in this cold weather we've been having. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful. Being from Wisconsin originally cheese is a big part of life and we love a good cheese soup! Nothing like it in the winter. Have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wende,
    Great soup for anytime of the year. Thank you for sharing and you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fabulous soup which I plan to make this week. I might add some broccoli to float in it.

    We are into soups now, also so keep posting soups, when you make them. You had a happy fan here.

    Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Chaya! I think the addition is broccoli is an awesome idea!

    I am ready to make lots of soups but the weather here in Texas is still warm. It is supposed to be in the 70's and 80's all week! Maybe one day soon it will get it chilly....{sigh}

    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    Wende

    ReplyDelete
  10. We haven't had much cool weather in SW Louisiana either-but I'm a soup lover, even when the weather is warm! Can't wait to try this.

    Charlene @ Secrets of a Southern Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're actually having some cool weather here in Hawaii too, so this soup will be perfect for that stock I just made. We have to make room for turkey stock!

    ReplyDelete