Thursday, July 14, 2011

Recipe: Copy Cat {Cracker Barrel} Hashbrown Casserole

 

I have an obsession with the hashbrown casserole at Cracker Barrel that can't be normal.  Whenever we take the girls out to eat and we are near a Cracker Barrel, they always want to eat there.  You won't get a big argument from me because I can have my hashbrown casserole fix.  

I have searched for years for the right recipe that duplicates this dish.  Every recipe that I found called for canned soup and/or sour cream.  Don't get me wrong, those recipes are very tasty but they are not the same dish served at Cracker Barrel. 

Last week, as I was reading through my favorite blogs, I somehow came across The Pioneer Cookbook blog.  I scrolled through some of her delicious looking posts and came across her recipe for hashbrown casserole.  After reading the ingredients, I was skeptical, but couldn't wait to give it a try.  People....I am here to tell you this is it!  This is the one...my search is over!  Yes, it is true...no soup and no sour cream...just milk and beef broth.  

I made this for dinner a couple of days ago, along with some BBQ smoked sausage, and my family ate it up and loved it.  I substituted the vegetable broth that is called for in the original recipe with beef broth and I also increased the amount of garlic powder slightly.  Stirring the casserole midway through the cooking is key to making the dish have the consistency of Cracker Barrel's.

If you have an unhealthy obsession with hashbrown casserole like me, you need to make this...and thank me later.  If you don't have an unhealthy obsession with hashbrown casserole (what is wrong with you?), you need to make this dish and get a new obsession...and thank me later.  Perhaps we will pass by each other in the our therapist's waiting room!

PS...Cracker Barrel did not sponsor my post today...they should...for all the therapy that I need...

Enjoy!



Hashbrown Casserole
adapted from the original recipe by Miriam Barton/The Pioneer Cookbook
Ingredients
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled and grated
  • 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
  2. Lightly coat an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish with butter.
  3. In a large bowl combine the potatoes, cheese, and onion.
  4. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients.
  5. Spread the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish, then pour the liquid mixture over the potatoes.
  6. Bake for 1 hour, stirring after 30 minutes.
  7. Cool for a couple of minutes to allow potatoes to firm up.
Powered by Recipage

15 comments:

  1. YUM!!! I LOVE Cracker Barrel's hashbrown casserole! I can NOT wait to make this!!!!

    Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!! :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious and I really appreciate your suggestions for improving the original recipe. This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love you for this... I have been searching as well. Can't wait to try it! Found you through It's a Keeper blog hop. Check out my recipes as well!

    Karyn
    cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way it looks and as I read your blog,I know this is a sure winner to my family.Thanks a lot for sharing.I have never done this before and it will be a surprise for my son.Have a great weekend.I am your newest follower.I blog about Filipino Food.Hope you can come over.
    http://www.cookiedropletsetcbymarelie.com/2011/07/my-hot-taco-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so yummy I love to order this at cracker barrel come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my YUM! this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally feel like I'm missing out since I haven't tried the Cracker Barrel Hashbrown casserole! It's awesome that you found "the one"! I'll be saving it to try soon, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing!!! looks and im sure is YUMMY
    ps
    Designer Blogs is doing a giveaway for a free button, if your interested come check it out!

    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/2011/07/button-botton-who-wants-designer-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! We don't have a CB out here so I haven't had the pleasure of eating this. However, I very well might just make this over the weekend to see what I have been missing all of these years.
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG- I have to try this!!! I love their hashbrown casserole!!! And yours looks just like their does! I am bookmarking this to make for later! Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday- we would LOVE to have you come back tomorrow and link up more of your great posts!
    -The Six Sisters
    http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm.. Delicious!
    Thank you for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. OHMYGOODNESS! How wonderful to know you have found 'the one!' you've been looking for. It looks divine...I definitely love hash brown casserole too, and will be sure to try this. So glad you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My family loves CB's hashbrown dish- I'm so glad to have stumbled upon your version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can I not make this for dinner tonight?? This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete