Friday, November 4, 2011

Recipe: Bubble Up Enchiladas


I am always looking for quick, easy and tasty meals to make during the weeknights.  This dish fit the bill and bonus....it's Mexican.  I found this recipe on Nikki's blog Chef In Training.  If you have not stopped by her blog, you must check it out...she has some great recipes!

My family loved it and my kids thought the "bubbly" biscuits were cool.  The original recipe uses ground turkey.  My family does not like turkey so much, so I have tried it with diced chicken and once with ground beef.  My family enjoyed it with ground beef and I agree.  That is the beauty of this recipe, you can make it with what ever you have on hand.  This dish will definitely be on a regular rotation on our weekly menus especially when I don't have a lot of time but want to serve a hot delicious dinner to my family.  

Enjoy!



Bubble Up Enchiladas
(adapted from the original recipe by Nikki/Chef in Training)

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef (can also use diced chicken, ground turkey)
1 onion, diced
1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 can refrigerated biscuits
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded cheese (I used 1 cup of sharp and 1 cup of Mexican blend)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.  Brown ground beef in a skillet, drain off fat.  Add onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Pour enchilada sauce and tomato sauce in with the meat and onions.  Mix well.  Cut biscuits into quarters and mix with meat mixture making sure to coat the biscuits with the sauce.  Pour mixture into the casserole dish and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the biscuits are no longer doughy.  Sprinkle cheese on top and return to the oven and bake until cheese is bubbling and melted.  Remove from the oven and allow to set for a few minutes before serving.  You can serve this with a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving.


Linked To:
*It's a Keeper: It's a Keeper Thursday
*Around My Table: Turning the Table Thursday
*Frugal Follies: Frugal Food Thursday 
*Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff
*What's Allie Making Now: Making it With Allie 
*Designs by Gollum: Foodie Friday
*Run DMT: Friday Food Fight
*Simply Sweet Home: Friday Favorites
*Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hippo: Anything Goes
*EKat's Kitchen: Friday Potluck  
*Amy's Finer Things: Finer Things Friday
*Six Sister's Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday 
*I Heart Naptime: Sunday Scoop
*Everyday Sisters: Sharing Sundays 
*The Sweet Details: Sharing Sunday
*Everyday Mom's Meals: Church Supper
*Mom's Crazy Cooking: This Week's Craving 






6 comments:

  1. I love Nikki's blog. Somehow I missed this recipe, though. Thanks for posting it.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound delicious! I love quick and easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the recipe for Bubble Up Pizza back in March on Plain Chicken, if you have never been there, I highly recommend. I thought I was super creative in making my own enchilada recipie but looks like the web beat me to posting! However, we use green enchilada sauce (hubs prefers that), add a can of green chilis (we like it spicy), and black beans. when it comes out of the oven we top it with lettuce, ranch/sour cream and salsa.

    Even my two year old loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds fantastic, especially on a frantic weeknight. I included it in my 25 quick meal ideas blog post today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Just stopping by to let you know I featured you on savory sunday!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete