Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gifts from my Kitchen: Blackberry Cream Cheese Muffins



Well, I made it through the third day....just barely!  I had so much going on that I was only able to make one batch of these most delicious muffins.  Oh my gosh!  They were incredible.  Jenny @ Picky Palate came up with a most awesome recipe.  I am really not a blackberry fan, but these were so good and moist.  I hope the teachers enjoyed these as much as I did.

I made a few changes based on what I had in my pantry, but once we get settled, I will try her original recipe with whole wheat flour.  Enjoy!

Blackberry Cream Cheese Muffins 
with Sweet Berry Drizzle
(adapted from Jenny's recipe @ The Picky Palate)

12 oz fresh blackberries
2 tbsp sugar
1 stick softened butter
8 oz softened cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 tsp orange extract
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place blackberries and sugar in a large bowl. Stir to combine so that berries are coated in sugar. Set aside. Cream the butter, cream cheese, sugar and orange extract until well combined. Slowly beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.  Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. With mixer on low, add half the flour, then half the milk, then remaining flour, then remaining milk until just combined.  Fill 6 extra large muffins tins or 24 regular size tins with muffin batter, about ¾ full, that has been sprayed with cooking spray or use liners. Press 3-4 berries into tops of each unbaked muffin, Reserve any berry juice in bowl for drizzle. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through. Remove and let cool.  In the same bowl as berries were in, place powdered sugar and milk. Whisk until smooth and drizzling consistency; should be a light pink color from the berry juice. Drizzle over top muffins.


Linked To:
*Talking Dollar and Cents: Muffin Monday

3 comments:

  1. Yummy! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your tasty muffin recipe up at Muffin Monday! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I found you from Muffin Monday--the photo drew me in. If you get a moment, I'd love for you to link up over at Momtrends. This week we're featuring sorbet cocktails for our recipe linky:

    http://www.momtrends.com/2011/07/friday-food-ciao-bella/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot WAIT to try these! They have my mouth watering... I love blackberries to begin with and I love anything berries and creamish!
    -Giselle

    ReplyDelete