Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gifts from my Kitchen: Macaroni Grill Bread


I love baking bread!  My family loves me when I make bread.  There is nothing better than homemade bread...the smell as it is baking, the butter as it melts on a warm sliced piece.  My family has been known to gobble up an entire loaf of bread minutes after it has come from the oven.

I usually start off the bread making process in my trusty breadmaker and finish it off in the oven.  However, this time, I found Jamie's recipe for Macaroni Grill Bread on her blog @ Jamie Cooks It Up.  Not only do you use your mixer but you get a finished product in about an hour and half.  The smell as it is baking is simply devine. 

I made a few adjustments because I am trying to use everything up in my pantry so it doesn't have to be packed and moved.  But once we are settled, I am going to try her original recipe.

Macaroni Grill Bread
(adapted from Jamie's recipe)

1 1/2 t active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp dried rosemary

1 egg

In the bottom of your mixer combine water, yeast and sugar. Let it sit for five minutes.  Add the salt, melted butter and one cup flour. Mix for 30 seconds to incorporate. Add the rest of the flour about a half cup at a time.When all of the flour is incorporated mix on medium to high.  After about seven minutes, add the italian seasoning, black pepper and rosemary.  Mix just until incorporated.  Cover the bowl and allow to rise until doubled, about 30 to 40 minutes.  Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a board. Divide the dough in half and shape into two balls.  Place the shaped dough onto a oiled pan or stone.  Make a criss cross cut onto the top of each ball.  Beat the egg in a small bowl until light and frothy.  Brush each ball with the egg wash, including the cuts.  Place dough in a 170 degree oven and allow to rise about 10 to 15 minutes or until doubled in size.  Turn the oven up to 370 degrees and cook for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove to a cooling rack.

1 comment: