Monday, December 5, 2011

Recipe: Spicy Tomato Sauce



Pasta dishes are a favorite here at our house.  I love to make my own sauce when I can and we have an absolute favorite, Roasted Roma Tomato Sauce.  It is a sweet sauce that is made with roasted roma tomatoes and it oh-so-good.  Recently, I came across a recipe for baked ziti on the blog Vittles and Bits, that I wanted to try.  In the recipe was a link for Spicy Tomato Sauce and because I didn't have any roma tomatoes available, I thought I would give it a try.  I am so glad I did.  I did adapt the recipe just a small bit for my family's liking but the sauce was hearty and perfectly seasoned and it made the ziti dish taste so good!  It made a large pot, that while it was cooking smelled unbelievable, so I had enough for our baked ziti and lots of leftovers.

Enjoy!

Spicy Tomato Sauce
(adapted slightly from the recipe by Maggie/Vittles and Bits

Ingredients
3 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 8-oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup beef broth
1 cup water
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried basil
2 heaping tsp black pepper
1 heaping tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low.  Add fresh garlic.  Oil should be hot enough that when the garlic is added, it will sizzle, but not too hot that it will burn the garlic.  Brown the garlic just slightly, until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.  Add water, broth, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste and stir until heated through.  Add parsley, basil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and crushed tomatoes.  Stir to combine.  Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer the sauce for about an hour, stirring occasionally. 


No comments:

Post a Comment