Sunday, December 18, 2011

Recipe: Cranberry-Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip



I was recently invited to a finger foods recipe party...my favorite kind of party!  I love appetizers, snacks, finger foods, chips and dip...whatever you want to call it, this is my food group.  I have some favorite recipes, but I wanted to do something different so I did some searching.  I came across this recipe at Mel's Kitchen Cafe and knew immediately that this was the recipe I was looking for.  I was right!  The dip was a success at the party and at home.  
The tart cranberries, spicy jalapeno and the cilantro all mixed to make the most perfect topper to cream cheese.  I mixed up the cranberry mixture in the morning and let it sit in my refrigerator for 6 hours.  I stirred it every now and then to make sure all the delicious goodness was well mixed.  An hour or so before serving, I whipped my cream cheese to a lighter texture and spread it in my serving tray.  I then poured the cranberry mixture on top.  One thing I should have done because I was transporting, was to pour off some of the liquid.  It made it a bit more messier and sticky.  After the party, I had a little leftover and stored in the refrigerator for a treat the next day.  It was even better!   

I have a family party coming up and this recipe just might make an appearance there as well.  It is just that good!

Enjoy!



Cranberry-Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip
(slightly adapted from the original recipe by Mel's Kitchen Cafe)


Ingredients
12 ounces fresh cranberries
5-6 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (8 ounces each) packages cream cheese, softened
Chips/Crackers, for serving

Directions
Pulse the cranberries in a food processor or blender until coarsely chopped. Add the green onions, cilantro, jalapeno, sugar, cumin, lemon juice and salt and pulse until the ingredients are well combined and very finely chopped. Transfer the mixture to a covered bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight) so the flavors have time to develop and the cranberries lose a bit of their tartness.


When ready to serve, beat the cream cheese in a mixing bowl until light and creamy. Spread the cream cheese in an even layer on a serving plate or 9-inch pie dish. Top with the cranberry-jalapeno mixture, spreading evenly over the top of the cream cheese.


Refrigerate for up to an hour before serving. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.

Linked To:
*The Sweet Details: Savory Sunday
*I Heart Naptime: Sundae Scoop
*Nifty Thrifty Things: Nifty Thrifty Sunday
*Flamingo Toes: Think Pink Sundays
*Petite Hermine: Sunday Linky Party 
*Boogieboard Cottage: Masterpiece Monday
*11th Heaven's Homemaker Haven: Homemaker Monday 
*Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker: Your Recipe, My Kitchen 
*DIY Home Sweet Home: More the Merrier Monday 
*Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth Monday 
*Delightfully Dowling: Mangia Monday 
*Marvelously Messy: A Marvelous Mess
*Keeping it Simple: Motivate Me Monday
*The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up 
*Blessed with Grace: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday 
*It's A Blog Party: Delicious Dishes
*Mandy's Recipe Box: Totally Tasty Tuesday
*33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesdays 
*Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show
*From Mess Hall to Bistro: Made From Scratch Tuesday 
*Permanent Posies: Tuesday's Tasty Tidbit
*Sugar and Dots: What I Whipped Up Wednesday 
*This Chick Cooks: These Chicks Cooked
*Turning the Clock Back: What's Cooking Wednesday 
*Around My Family Table: Turning the Table Thursday   





4 comments:

  1. this I believe would be very tasty and so perfect for the holidays thanks for sharing come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be amazing. I just saved this post to my recipe file. Yummmmmy. I would love for you to share this awesome recipe at our What's It Wednesday linky party. Hope you can join us.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot wait to try this out!!

    Stopping by from TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! I serve it with Wheat Thins

    ReplyDelete