Saturday, October 16, 2010

12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies - Week #3: Frosted Butterscotch Cookies


It's week three of the twelve weeks of Christmas Cookies and I thought I would try out a new recipe.  I also used white bean puree and butter to replace the shortening that was used in the original recipe.  These cookies remind me of the Buttermilk Cookies that I made a while back.  They are sweet and tasty and would be perfect for holiday gift baskets. 

Enjoy!




Frosted Butterscotch Cookies

Cookies
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1/2 shortening (I used 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup white bean puree)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups AP flour
8 ozs sour cream
2/3 cup pecans (walnuts would be good too!)

Browned Butter Frosting
1/2 cup butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
5 tsps boiling water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a large cookie sheet with parchment or silpat.  In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and shortening (or butter/white bean puree replacement).  Beat on medium speed until smooth.  Add baking soda, baking powder and salt; beat until combined.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.  Alternately add flour and sour cream beating on low speed after each addition until combined.  Stir in pecans.  Drop dough by rounded teaspoons two inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheet.  Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

To make the frosting, in a medium saucepan, cook and stir butter over medium-low heat until golden brown (do not scorch).  Remove from heat and add powdered sugar, water and vanilla.  Using a wooden spoon, stir until combined.  If necessary, beat in additional boiling water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a frosting of spreading consistency.  Immediately spread onto cookies.  If frosting starts to set up, stir in a small amount of water.


Linked to: 

 Week 3 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:


4 comments:

  1. Yum, I would love to bite into one of those and lick the frosting off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really tasty! I have these on my to make list!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for cookies. My mom loves butterscotch, I'll have to make these for her. I love browned butter, it really adds something to the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, these look so good! Any frosted cookie is O.K in my book! The recipe sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete