We are a sloppy joe lovin' family! We love it any time of the year, but especially during the spring and summer months...it just says summer to us. I used to buy the mix in the can until I came across Misty's recipe on her blog, Bake Me Away. The first time I made it, I was skeptical because of the lemon juice but it adds to the flavor and makes it so much better than any canned sauce. We love to eat our joes on toasted buttery buns along with cheese slices (I like two) and lots of pickles.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp mustard
- hamburger buns
- optional: cheese slices, pickles
- In a large pot, brown meat and onion.
- While meat is browning, stir together the ketchup, water, lemon juice, vinegar, brown sugar and mustard.
- When meat is cooked, add sauce and stir until combined.
- Simmer on medium-low for about 30 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on buns with a slice of cheese if desired.
Powered by Recipage
Linked To:*Addicted to Recipes: Scrumptious Sunday
*Flamingo Toes: Think Pink Sunday
*Everyday Mom's Meals: Church Supper
*Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth Monday
*Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave
*The Sweet Spot: Recipe Party
*Flour Me with Love: Mix It Up Monday
*A Southern Fairytale: Mouthwatering Monday
*Beyer Beware: Hunk of Meat Monday
*Blessed with Grace: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
*It's A Blog Party: Delicious Dishes
*Mandy's Recipe Box: Totally Tasty Tuesday
*Permanent Posies: Tuesday Tasty Tidbits
*Reasons to Skip the Housework: Tuesday Time Out
*Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show
*From Mess Hall to Bistro: Made from Scratch Tuesday
*Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday
*Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
*Mom on Timeout: Taking a Timeout Thursday
*Simply Sweet Home: Friday Favorites
*Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hippo: Anything Goes
*Country Momma Cooks: Link and Greet