Monday, April 2, 2012

Recipe: Pasta with Chickpea-Tomato Sauce



I love serving meatless meals for my family.  Not only is it more healthy but it is very budget friendly.  I am super blessed that my family loves chickpeas. We have a favorite chickpea dish, Oh So Tasty Bean Salad, that during the summer months, my family requests at least once a week.  It is just that good!

I found this recipe and immediately knew that this would be something my family would like.  I changed it up a bit to suit my family.  It is a very hearty pasta dish made even better with crumbled feta on top.  Super easy and ready to serve in about 30 minutes which makes it a great weeknight super dish when you have very limited time.

Enjoy!

Pasta with Chickpea-Tomato Sauce
adapted from the original recipe by Lucinda Scala Quinn/Mad Hungry
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups chickpeas (or 2 cans drained)
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 12 ozs pasta, preferably shells or ridged pasta
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Feta cheese, crumbled (or Parmesan cheese)

Instructions
  • In a pot, heat oil over medium heat.
  • Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds (do not brown).
  • Add chickpeas, season with salt and pepper.
  • Cook about 5 minutes.
  • Add diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and chicken broth.
  • Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 20 minutes.
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • While sauce is cooking, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
  • Drain pasta and return to pot.
  • Add sauce to pasta and toss.
  • Scoop individual portions and garnish with feta.
Powered by Recipage

Linked To:
*Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave
*The Sweet Spot: Mouthwatering Monday
*Blessed with Grace: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
*It's A Blog Party: Delicious Dishes
*Mandy's Recipe Box: Totally Tasty Tuesday
*33 Shades of Green:  Tasty Tuesday
*From Mess Hall to Bistro: Made From Scratch Tuesday
*Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday
*Mom On Timeout: Taking a Timeout Thursday
*Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday

3 comments:

  1. Yum! If only my boyfriend would eat chick peas. But I love them, so I can whip this up and take it to work with me for lunch. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wende,
    This looks like a delicious Pasta dish, we would really enjoy it! Hope you have a wonderful Easter Celebration and thank you so much for sharing at Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this with My Meatless Mondays. It is being featured, this week. I am a big fan of chick peas and this sounds wonderful with them.

    ReplyDelete