Sunday, September 19, 2010

Recipe Review: Old Timey Butter Rolls


OMG!  These rolls are a slice of heaven. 

I wanted to take a treat to my grandmother and while I was looking around on Christy Jordan's Southern Plate, I came across this recipe.  I thought it would be something that my grandmother would enjoy and it looked very good to me.  These were so easy to make and yummy delicious!  They reminded me of my mother's cream puffs in a biscuit form.  The sauce is like a custard that is rich and yummy.  This would be the perfect ending to a comfort meal.

Enjoy!

Old Timey Butter Rolls
(recipe from Christy Jordan's Southern Plate)

Rolls
2 cups self rising flour (I used AP with 3 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt)
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk (I needed an additional 2 tbsps)
1 stick butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Sauce
2 cups milk (I used 2%)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla (I used 2)

Cut shortening into flour really well with a fork.  Stir in milk.  On a floured surface, dump out dough and press together with your hands to form a ball.  Roll out into a rectangle (about 7 x 10" size).  Spread softened butter over dough and then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over top.  Roll it up like a jelly roll and press it together lightly.  Cut into nine slices (I ended up with eight) about one inch thick each.  Place into a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish.

In a medium sauce pot, combine all milk sauce ingredients.  Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to bubble lightly.  Pour over rolls in pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until rolls are lightly browned on top.  Allow to sit for a few minutes once it is done for the rolls to soak up more sauce.  After you put each roll on a plate, spoon more sauce over top.

1 comment:

  1. very close to my grandmothers.her simple biscuit dough was 1 stick butter,2 cups flour,1 cup milk.after rolling that out,i dab about 1/2 stick butter and a cup of sugar over it.i then mix 1 can pet milk and 1 can water,pour over rolls in pan and 30 minutes later-heaven.my family just loves these!

    ReplyDelete