Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recipe: Crock Pot Grits


First, let me apologize for my horrible pictures.  At 5:30 in the morning my brain and camera are not yet working.  Add to that three little girls who don't care about my need to document, they just want their cheesy grits.  So, again, sorry for the un-fab pics.

My girls LOVE grits.  I know, crazy right?  They also love eating blue cheese and feta out of the container, but that is another post.  I grew up eating grits and my mother continued the tradition with my girls.  I make them on occasion when I have time.  I don't make instant grits...they are just horrible.  But, I don't always have time in the mornings to make them  before I send them off to school.  And, unfortunately, I am not as dedicated as my mother.  She will get up earlier than us to make them.  I know, she is perfect...right?  Anyway, I decided to give them a try in the crock pot so we could wake up to a hot and mighty tasty breakfast and I could almost be as perfect as my mother. 

There is a different texture between the crock pot grits and stove top grits.  The grits that I made in the crock pot have a more creamy texture.  Stove top grits have a grainier texture.  Either way is good in my opinion.  We put cheese in ours to make them even better.  I also like them with lots of butter and salt. 

The crock pot grits cooked for about 6 hours and was just about the right consistency.

I will be adding this to our breakfast rotation as this beats cold cereal any day!  Enjoy!




Crock Pot Grits

1 cup grits
5 cups water
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp salt

Spray crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.  Add all ingredients.  Stir until combined.  About an hour into the cooking process, give the grits a stir to incorporate the butter throughout.  Once they are done, give them another big stir and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why I never thought of putting grits in the crockpot before, but I'm glad I found your post! My daughters love grits, but like you said, it's a bit time consuming in the morning. I like them creamy so I know this will be perfect for us. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete