Friday, February 24, 2012

Recipe: Quick and Healthy Homemade Potato Chips




I recently had surgery and my recovery involved doing as little as possible for four weeks.  Not so easy to do with three active children in the middle of the school year.  My sweet mother volunteered to take care of all of us.  I know it has been a lot of work for her, but the selfish side of me has enjoyed all the pampering and home cooked meals. While searching for some quick and healthy snacks to make for the girls after school treat, she came across this recipe at Eating Well for Microwave Potato Chips.  Chips that are not deep fried and quick to make...yes please!  The original recipe called for Yukon gold or red potatoes, but my mother made hers with sweet potatoes, purple fingerling potatoes and Idaho potatoes.  Not only were they colorful but they were so tasty.
 
I am always looking for ways to make my children's lunches and snacks a bit more healthier and this is a great alternative to processed over chemicaled bagged chips.  

Thanks Mommy for finding such a great healthy recipe.  Enjoy!



Quick and Healthy Homemade Potato Chips
{adapted from the original recipe by Eating Well}
Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 pound potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Instructions
  1. Slice potatoes into very thin rounds.
  2. Toss the slices in a medium bowl with olive and salt to coat evenly.
  3. Coat a large micro-wave proof plate with cooking spray. Arrange some potato slices in a single layer on the plate.
  4. Microwave, uncovered, on High until some slices start to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes (depending on the potato thickness and microwave power).
  5. Turn the slices over and continue microwaving until they start to crisp and brown around the edges, another 2 to 4 minutes. Check frequently and rearrange slices as needed to prevent scorching.
  6. Transfer the chips to another plate and allow to cool completely. The chips will crisp more as they cool.
  7. Repeat with remaining slices.
Powered by Recipage

Linked To:
*Simply Sweet Home: Friday Favorites
*Bacon Time with The Hungry Hungry Hippo: Anything Goes
*It's A Hodgepodge Life: It's a Hodgepodge Friday
*Stuff and Nonsense: Friday's Unfolded
*Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday
*Blissful and Domestic: Feature Friday
*Country Momma Cooks: Link and Greet
*The Sweet Details: Savory Sunday
*LambAround: Not Baad Sundays
*I Heart Naptime: Sundae Scoop 
*Nifty Thrifty Things: Nifty Thrifty Sunday
*Simply Klassic Home: Simply Klassic Sunday
*Flamingo Toes: Think Pink Sundays
*Everyday Mom's Meals: Church Supper
*Petite Hermine: Sunday Linky Party
*My Sweet and Savory: My Meatless Monday
*The Southern Institute: Creative Me
*Mrs Happy Homemaker: Make You Crave Monday
*It's a Keeper Thursday: Recipe Swap
*Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday

10 comments:

  1. these looks delish! xo P.S. only two days left to enter the Sweetheart Giveaway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade chips...thanks for the recipe... and for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…..have a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the 4th time I've seen Microwave Potato Chips in the past week, from various sources. I'm glad to see they work! And they look crisp and yummy :) Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wende, they really look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm now following you on Linky and Google. Hope you will follow me on both. Thanks, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    PS: I am your newest Linky Follower!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, these look yummy! I just visited your blog and became a follower. I want to invite you to stop by my blog and follow me, too!
    Thanks! :)
    http://www.gratefulbelly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay this is really crazy. Today I was just thinking (after I got home from Target with three bags of potato chips!) I really need to start making my own chips! And here you are! Just shared this on Facebook :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Wende,
    Those chips look awesome, there is nothing like wonderful homemade chips. You are so blessed to have your Mom take care of you and your family and hope you are well on your way to recovery. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow these look great! I've never made potato chips at home, but have been wanting to try! This looks very simple, I'll have to remember this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're being featured this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete